Due to the crime that Jum has committed against animalkind that has been put on Jum, he must seek repentance by entering a cursed cave. In this cave, he finds an array of animals that he must defeat to get rid of the curse. All the levels in Jumgeon will take place in a cave-like-dungeon. This means that it will be dimly lit and have a stone and rock appearance. Since Jum is in this cave, there is no sense of time or change of environment over time. You are within a cave, there shouldn’t be much weather problems.
The main “terrain” in these levels will be the walls, doors, holes, and pillars. In terms of story, we are thinking of implementing elements of environmental clues such as corpses, paintings, stretch marks, etc. In the first room, there will be a corpse for player to examine where the they will find the first Repentance Orb. Later on when the levels are procedurally generated, the player will get more Repentance Orbs which perpetually the narrative. Progression through the levels means experience the story.
First Five Levels (Gameplay)
The first life that the player will experience is more linear. This is to five levels help the player learn how to move, shoot, interact with the Repentance Orbs, enemies, and changing level layouts before they are introduce to the reincarnation mechanic.
- The game will start with the player in an empty spawn room (15×15). There be one repentance orb next to a corpse. Then the player will move to the next room.
- This is the first room with enemies in it. The enemy type is the first enemy that the player will be reincarnated as when they die for the first time. The purpose for introducing and enemy in this room is to introduce the player to the combat mechanics. This will be a basic 15×15 room and 2-3 enemies. The player will exit this room
- This room will be an expansion of the 15×15 room, having a different layout with the same number of enemies as the previous room.
- The player will be introduced to the larger 30×30 sized room with more enemies of the same type.
- This will be an expansion of the 30×30 room. A new enemy type will be introduced. Only this enemy type will be present in this room. This room layout will be random but will have the two enemies that have been seen so far.
General Level Flow
Since this game is comprised of relatively small levels, the flow is similar across them all. The player must defeat all the enemies in order to move to the next room. The challenge in each level will vary as there will be multiple enemies. The game will scale in difficulty by changing the enemy spawns per room and the damage dealt by the enemies. Our game is mainly flat except for the walls, pillars and holes.
The opening scene would be before the start menu. It will show two images of what happened before Jum enters the gave. The first image is Jum in the forest holding a knife over a creature of light — the Alanimal. The sky is light not a cloud. The next image will be of Jum stabbing the Alanimal and then the darkness looms. Lightning in the background, maybe wind.
Some of the environmental sounds will include: water drops, wind, echoing ambient sounds, the opening/closing of doors. The other sounds will be related to the player dealing and taking damage. The music have a soft, dark tone so that it does not overpower the sound effects and aids in setting the scene.